Search This Blog

Monday, April 29, 2013

A Postscript

I have a new goal: go to bed before midnight. I seem so antsy to myself that I decided I maybe needed to stop burning the candle at both ends. So I will be brief and then get to bed. We do love you and we wanted you to know that.

My other goal, to enjoy each day as it unfolds has been good for me. I spend too much time worrying about things that I cannot change and not enough worrying about the things I can. So, I reason, I will enjoy each day with gratitude for being alive. I have enjoyed just being with Dad/Gramps and just being thankful that we can still know who we are. Some of the folks I work with at the care center on Sundays are not that lucky. Some of them, for example, have trouble finding the pages of the hymn though they still can sing the words. It worries some of the residents that they do not have the right page  but they have all the words tucked away somewhere at any rate and do not need the page at all. But, I go around and find pages for them so they will be happy. Most of them are only 10 years older than I am.  Really. They are 82 or so and I am 72. I hope that my mind holds out longer than theirs have. Of course, some of the folks I work with at the temple are fine and are in their late 80s. I wonder what really makes the difference?


No comments:

Subscribe