Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

This is the deal.


OK, IF you get your cards and packages and IF they do not have the right amount of money, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I will make it right. I will just feel terrible if I find out that one of you does not get what they are supposed to get. Also, IF YOU DO NOT GET ANY ONE OF THE CARDS (or the package), let me know. I will also make that right.

Let me explain. (President Gosland said that nobody really cares about an excuse except for the person making it.) It set up the card table in the family room. I had a pile with $1 bills. I had a pile with $5 bills. I had a pile with $20 bills and I also had a couple of $50 bills and a few $10 bills. I had two evenings to get done. I was tired and I was cold (I am never warm) even though Dad built a roaring fire in the fireplace. I had a pile of cards and envelopes. Some of the cards fit one size of envelope, some fit another and some fit still another. I had a pile of Christmas letters. I had my address book and a stick glue (for the ridiculous envelopes that wouldn't stick). I had a check-off list with all 47 of your names. I had a plan.

I also had a list of other important relatives whom Dad and I wanted to remember.

I started with the oldest person in the family first (as listed, printed off the computer and double checked by Dad) and then worked my way down. I carefully checked off each name AFTER the card was done. Dad counted the completed cards to make certain there were enough, in number, and I put them in a box to take to the post office. At the post office, they were double checked again. Of course, by then they were all sealed so the contents were not checked. However, as I did each card, I pictured each person in my mind and thought of the great things they do and how much I love them. That part was extra-nice.

I did NOT have the correct number of tens, fives, ones or $20s. I had $1,700 in cash which the banker had been asked to count out in mostly $20s and $5s with a few other bills mixed in. I had to take a couple of $100s back and get $20s. When I was done with the cash, I took the rest and bought presents for those who wanted presents. Incidentally, I also did not tell you that people called wanting things and that I had to stop the process from time to time to answer the needs of others. That, of course, is where I get into trouble. I have a one-track mind and it is difficult to start the process over when I have stopped mid-task.

I also had a stack of books and DVDs, which I had wrapped and had stacked in piles with names on them. Mingled in that pile were gifts for Aunties and Uncles. I also wrapped, in addition to the few people who wanted gifts, two for Sub for Santa.

All 16 adult members of our immediate family got cash. A FEW of the kids got presents. Most of the 31 got cash. It is so much easier to mail but, apparently, it is not so much easier to keep track of. (For example, I think I may have gotten a five dollar bill in the stack of ones.)

In addition, you have to add in the fact that I am OLD and getting OLDER EVERY DAY! Perhaps, like the old woman who lived in the shoe, I should just feed you broth without any bread and spank you all soundly and send you to bed.

No matter how badly I goofed up, I do love you all.
Mom


Kirsten wrote: Mommy dearest, I think you are more concerned about the accuracy than are we. WE are just so grateful for a Grammy/mom/friend/cousin, etc. who loves us and wants to remember us, even if it were just a letter.

We love you and are grateful for all you do!!! I think we've all been in that situation (having Kirsten call 5.238 million times to ask silly sewing questions). Thank you!!!! You are wonderful and excuses are not needed because we all love you and are thankful for all you do!!!

Love, your daughter who likes to interrupt the merry card-making days,
Kirsten :) hehehe



Melanie wrote: The only reason I would tell you about us not getting the presents is because you sent cash. I worry about the cash being sent in the mail.

We have the three packages and one card that you sent. We are waiting for the mail to be delivered. The post master told us the mail would be difficult for New Englanders because to the severe ice storms in the mid-west, where some of the packages go to be re-routed.

Siovhan mailed us a package last week. It was supposed to take two days, it is now on day seven. She insured it and put delivery confirmation on it, so when she calls she can find out where it is supposed to be.

Mel

Myrna wrote: I did have sense enough to put delivery confirmation on the packages. I also insured those. Are you still waiting for delivery? Love, M


Siovhan wrote: I am so far. But it could come today. Plus the heinous weather in Portland has delayed EVERYTHING here in Eugene.

Siovhan


Myrna wrote: I thought you, of all the ones away, would get yours in time. One of my mother's cousin's children, Don Fexer, lives in Eugene. (His mother, Betty, and my mother were first cousins. She and her husband, Don Sr. lived in Eugene for many years before they both died three years ago.) Don Jr. never sends a card to me until he gets mine. In the past, it seemed that I got one back in a few days. As a matter of fact, I didn't get a card from him this year. So much for that plan.

Did you get your parent's gift?

Love, M



No comments:

Subscribe