Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Still About Mike

I called Cyd. When I talked to her Mike was about to be moved into intensive care. He is in Utah Valley and he is very, very ill. 

I am going to go up in the morning and find out for myself how he is--either improving or not. I should have gone this afternoon but I did not. Cyd did not want anyone there this afternoon because of the move to ICU. She wanted to spend as much time with Mike as she could. Her daughter, Terri Fox, is there with her and is staying with Mike and Cyd. Cyd thought that Terri would call tonight but she did not. I don't know if she called Charlotte or not. 

Their son, David, lives in St. George and was trying to get to the hospital but had still not made it. Mike's mother does live in Provo. He has a sister, Lisa, whose last name I do not know. She also lives nearby. Her husband is a seminary teacher in the valley.

At any rate, Mike had a major stroke while he was at work today. He was taken to Castle View. They took him by Life Flight to Provo. The doctors there were hoping they could remove the clot but there was too much damage and they could not do the procedure. The damage he has suffered is permanent. His right side is paralyzed. The big problem, right now, is that his brain is swelling. Cyd was very brave but she was not encouraging. She said that, if all went well, he would be able to have some rehab. However, the brain swelling could cause death. They will try not to let that happen but it could.

I did not ask Cyd where the damage (heart or brain) was. From the way she talked I thought it was his heart because they were going to use the femoral artery to gain access to the site of the clot, which is what they did with LHT when they put in the stent. However, with the brain swelling, I could be wrong. 

On the weekend, Mike had Cyd drive him to the hospital because his vision was gone. By the time they got there, it had mostly returned--a bit blurry but there. He had had the flu and thought that was his problem so he had Cyd take him home. His company had just started back to work for the season and this was just his second day at work. He was not feeling really well but put in a full day yesterday. The stroke hit at noon. I talked to Cyd about 5 p.m.

I did get her daughter's cell phone number, but I do not think that will do much good. They make you turn off cell phones in ICU. I think it would be best just to call the hospital and ask for that floor. Then the nurses will get Cyd or Terri to talk to you. 

I need to call Charlotte and Laurel again in the morning and find out what they know.

No comments:

Subscribe