Search This Blog

Friday, April 7, 2006

Oh! Hi! Oh!



We have been in Ohio for a year now. The coming and going of the day were quite uneventful. I got up, took Michael to school, mailed off 25 envelopes about scout camp and went to work. When I got home we went to Michael's musical at the High School. Nothing more, nothing less. I guess that is how it goes.

Updates:
Hailey is four months old now. She is a bundle of joy. She pretty well laughs all night long. She has a very contagious laugh that just makes me giggle when I hear her. She is about to the point where she will roll from her back to her belly, but not quite there yet. It still surprises her when she does it. She had her check up and she is 13 lbs 2 oz and 24 1/2 inches long. She is in the 50% percentile.

Emily is nearing completion of dance and gymnastics for the summer. Her recital is May 19th. She got her report card and has all A's. She reads really well and loves to sit Hailey in her lap and read her stories. She is starting Coach Pitch baseball and is the only girl on her team. We went to her first practice and she could hit and throw better than most of the boys. I think they like her. She can hold a perfect pike on the floor and astonishes her gymnastics instructor all the time. Might be time to look into finding another teacher.

Tyler got straight A's on his report card as well. He just got done with the Ohio testing that says whether he gets to go on to third grade, or not. We're not worried. Tyler had his pinewood derby at cubs on Wednesday. He took 2nd of sixteen cars. It was a photo finish and when they did some unofficial racing, after the race, he won two out of three. The best part, when the official race ended, he picked up his car and the other boy picked up his car at the same time, then they walked back to the head of the track with Tyler's arm around the shoulders of the winner and you could hear Tyler saying, "Good job. You raced good." I had to remind myself he is only eight. Tyler is also playing baseball. He wanted something to pass the time until soccer starts.

Michael is doing exceptionally well at school. I guess no one expects anything different from him. He has taken some classes that have really pushed him out of his comfort zone. He is in choir and
decided he was going to try out for the school musical Oklahoma. He didn't realize that once he made it, we would not let him quit. So, this past weekend, we went to the musical to see our Michael on stage. He claims he was terrible. We think he did just fine. Perhaps, we are biased. The other class he took that pushed his skills was Life Skills (home economics). He cooked, cleaned and sewed. His favorite story was when he was supposed to double the recipe for muffins, and he accidentally put in two tablespoons of salt instead of the two teaspoons. To put him at ease, when he told me the story, I told him that if anyone ever tells him that you make mashed potatoes in a blender just laugh at them. :) Michael and I will be going to scout camp in the Cumberland Gap this year at a place called Camp Mountaineer. That will be the last week of June.

Amy is busy. She shuttles kids back and forth and she is the ward's enrichment leader. She doesn't get lost anymore and knows her way around quite well. We have to drive a little to get to some things. Church is 15 miles one way, but work is only 10 miles away. The inexpensive grocery store is 15 miles from town, but Wendy's is only two miles. Amy and I celebrated our 16th anniversary. Last year, I bought her a new house and moved out of our home for our anniversary. This year, I took her and the kids to Chicago for a crab leg dinner at Bob Chinz and to get Amy out of the house. Hailey made the sixhour drive like a trooper and that made Amy happy, because we have a 24-hour drive ahead of us this July and then again in August. Amy will be out with the kids for most of the month of July, we will arrive on July 4th in Nephi and will leave that first week in August.

I will get to drive out and stay for two weeks. My boss is allowing me to work out of the Sandy office for one week, so the first week, we will be in Nephi and then the second week we will be in Lake Shore. We are planning to go camping at the Ponderosa on the 6th, 7th and 8th. I also want to make it back to the Ute Stampede for one of the nights. We won't make it in time for the pageant. Work is going well. I am always busy and feel like I could work solid for weeks and still not catch up, so that is a good thing. I like being the scoutmaster even though I have some challenges with a few parents. Living in the "mission field" and getting people to help is like pulling teeth. I think the distances make people think differently. For example, I set up a home teaching route for myself. If I go from A to B to C to D and then home, I make a 70-mile loop that takes about 4 1/2 hours to complete. Otherwise, the distances separately would be over 130 miles. I like the challenges of living here. I think if we were to move back tomorrow, I would definitely miss some people I have met in the past year. Which reminds me of the story of the sage. http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/traveltales.ht ml#travelerandfarmer

We went to Stake Conference recently and listened to our temple president give one of the talks. He told us that before the temple was built, there was one stake in Columbus. Since the temple was built, there are now four stakes in Columbus. He said in his talk that saints are flocking to Ohio for reasons they don't know. Life is just working out for them to get here. He stated that one of the promises given to the Prophet Joseph Smith that has yet to be realized was that the Ohio shall flourish and that the saints shall gain their inheritance in the Ohio
(D&C 39). He further said that for this reason many saints are being drawn to the Ohio to gain that inheritance. Who knows? He could be right.

I have taken too much space. I love you all.
T

No comments:

Subscribe