Search This Blog

Friday, April 7, 2006

Rocky Mountain “Hi”!

Cancun was awesome! Jared and I got to stay in an all-inclusive resort just south of Cancun (Grandma Waite came to stay with the kids) where they brought you drinks by the pool. Needless to say, my doctor wasn't very happy (also not surprised) that I gained an extra five pounds while in Mexico (all attributed to the non-alcoholic Pina Coladas), but it will all work out in the end (I hope). I did learn that I'm not fond of many Mexican desserts (they're just not sweet enough for me; pretty pathetic, eh?), but apparently that didn't matter since the slushies and virgin coladas all made up for the extra calories.

I was nervous about all of the Falcon Dental office staff and spouses being together for four days in a row, but it worked out splendidly and was actually very fun!

One of the most exciting things we did while there was driving to some Mayan ruins (Chichen Itza), about an hour and a half outside Cancun (if you take the Super Highway; four hours if you take the back roads through true Mexico in the dark--long story). It was amazing to see how exact they were in constructing every building. Because of all the precise measurements, they were able to amplify sound (the Mexicans call it the first "recorded" sound), and make different symbols using light and shadow. Our tour guide, though not a Mormon, mentioned the Book of Mormon several times, especially when talking about the tower construction and how the Mayans made sound travel (he mentioned King Benjamin), and all the references to the Feathered Serpent (Kukulcan or Quetzalcoatl) or Christ visiting the Americas (he said the Mayans named him the feathered serpent because they didn't know how to describe facial hair and the long hair, with which, Christ is portrayed; and "serpent" because that was their most respected symbol). I could go on and on, but I wouldn't do it justice.

The girls had fun with Granny; though she was tired after the five days of chasing two girls who get up at 5:45 in the morning.

Jared and I decided everyone needs a good vacation away from the kids at least once in their lives. Four days was perfect, enough time for us to miss them, and to not get sick of each other either. Now life is back to the normal, and try as I might I can't seem to get anyone to bring me a drink around here. Oh well.

Laundry is all caught up, floors are vacuumed and the office is still a mess. Sound pretty average to anyone else? We really enjoyed conference and were sad to miss Mel, but we understand all you Utah folk had fun and that Siovhan didn't keep Melanie out past her bedtime again. :)

Happy Easter to you all!
The Waites

No comments:

Subscribe