Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Kirsten Comments


Why don't you and dad come up with a list of items?  Then we can all openly discuss.  

Like I said, I think the furniture (piano, curio, table, etc.) might be something to discuss, as will the guns, fishing poles, work benches, poetry journals (originals can definitely be made into copies) and family history documents.  But I also think most of the family history things should be passed down like in days of old to oldest boy/girl... with copies for the rest of us.  

I think it would be wise to list it out and just see.  I'm sure there are things I haven't mentioned that others would love to include (like Grandpa T's old mining shovel and stuff like that), or your artwork, or the dolls and old pottery... your old newspaper journals, yearbooks, all books...

What does everyone else think?  I'm sure Ams would have suggestions on how she normally advises families to take care of this...

You and dad should do a "walk through."  Walk through the house and see...  Start room by room.  I think it will take a great deal of time, but think how much easier Grandma T's estate was to divide because she had dotted almost every i and crossed almost every t, down to her figurines...

I agree, Melanie.  The things I cherish most are not really things...  they're memories!  When it comes to dividing... I just want copies... copies of dad's slides from his mission, copies of birth certificates... copies of pictures from those old family photo albums... copies of your recipes, poetry.  I think we can all reconcile with each other... I think dad and the boys should work out the guns thing though...  we don't need one; no one here knows how to use one. :)

What other "things" do people want that would cause issues?  I think most of us have a piano... now if you would have kept your old water bed, I might have had to fight for that one... (hehehe)  Grandma's curio, etc.  I wouldn't know how to divide those items or who is most sentimentally attached to them.   I hope we each saw how giving you and dad both were upon your parents' deaths and learned how to also be charitable.  It is the people we will miss the most and the items, however wonderful they are, cannot replace the person.

Kirsten

Myrna: OK, the plan is that I make a list. It is back to my ballpark? How about if, when many of you are here, you help make a list? I'll start and then you fill in. See, I wouldn't have thought about the fishing poles. 


No comments:

Subscribe