Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Things from the Past!

When I was in high school one of the popular things to say, during a lull in conversation was:
"That's life. 
What's life?
Life is a magazine.
Where do you get it?
At the corner drug store.
How much does it cost?
Fifty cents.
I don't have that much.
That's life.
What's life."
This smart ditty was repeated ad nauseaum or until someone said: "That's enough of life." I wonder if that is why the magazine went out of print in my lifetime?

Another neat thing we used to do was buy packages of Kool-Aid for a nickel. We would then lick the dry Kool-Aid from our hands, a bit at a time. It made a wonderful mess of our faces and we couldn't wash it off very easily (Who am I kidding? We couldn't wash it off for days.) but it was really, really good. Jell-O was also good for eating from the package. You had to be careful of that one, however. One time Frankie Ruzzuto and his siblings brought out a permanent wave of their mother's. We all thought, including them, that it was orange Jell-O. We ate it and had to go to the doctor--Garth. David and I. Great fun--eat poison administered by a friend. The only saving grace was that they had to go to the doctor also--there were three of them also. I understand that Frankie ended up being a brain and making a name for himself. I looked him up on white pages once but there were three Frank Ruzzutos. One was in Nebraska, one in New Jersey and one in New York. So much for that. I had no intention of contacting him, at any rate, but I was curious.

Anyway, Ann Olsen and I were talking about all of this, via e-mail. I thought I would share with all of you.

No comments:

Subscribe