Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2005

WWII checks


"We could voluntarily remit part of our pay to our dependents. I volunteered to have $25 a month deducted from my pay check to go to my daughter every month. The Federal Government matched that with another $25 so that she got $50 a month from me.
"We could decide to buy life insurance up to $10,000 face value.
"The monthly premium for the life insurance was $6.40 a month which was automatically deducted from your salary if you elected to buy the insurance."
From: "A Soldier's Diary"
My Dad was in World War II. I knew that he had some of his check sent to me. I never did know how much. Somehow that question was never answered. I just wanted to know. I knew that some of the money from that withholding was used to buy me a piano and some was saved and used when I went to college. It was a curiosity on my part. I asked sundry realtives who were old enough to remember and none of them knew. Now I have a good idea.

Hello to the Trauntveins:
In answer to your question about what a dependent was paid by the federal government during World War II, we suppose it was about $100.00, but are not certain about that. Were there any records kept by Myrna's sweet grand-mother? She should have received money for your care while your Dad was in service. 

We bought a new computer, so are trying to learn how to use it. We think it will be great. Love to you both. Charles & Merle

Dear Uncle Charles,
Thanks for your help. I am going through some of the recepits that my grandmother had. It may be that I will find it there. There are a whole lot that I have just put in a couple portable file boxes. I have just kept them but have never really gone through them. Some people go through and shred all of that but I just kept them.

Thanks for considering my question. If I find out what it was I will let you know.

Have fun with the new computer. What kind did you get? It is sort of like getting a new baby--a lot of adjustment.

Love, Myrna

No comments:

Subscribe