Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2005

The Late but Always Great Waites Rocky Mountain "Hi!"

We miss you Utahans already!!! We (the girls and I, and Jared for a few days) had so much fun with all ya’ll in Utah. We are so grateful we got to be part of the welcoming committee for Baby Rachel. It was so much fun to spend that time with the Howard clan. It made me miss living in Utah, and being only a hop-skip-and-jump from
a majority of the family.

I also had fun honing my home makeover skills with Dad while we caulked, and hand-rolled the back of the house (then later repainted the back--long story, ask Dad--and finished the rest of the exterior on the edition using Jim's much faster, cool paint gun). Now I think I'll try out for one of those "please help me, I'm decorating challenged" shows on TLC. Maybe I won't look as stupid after this recent experience (alright, alright, save your comments, Howard and Todd, I know what you're thinking). By the way, if any of you are looking to fill up that extra time on your hands, we didn't finish the trim on the six side windows (I say "we" loosely, Dad worked, I
mainly watched).

The annual Labor Day campout was a lot of fun! But we missed those of you who couldn't be there. Whitney managed to stay pretty clean (she takes after her dad) and Emma, of course taking after her mother, fell face down in the mud and later used up her "spare" outfit by "wash me handies" in the five-gallon water cooler of which everyone else's kids are already knowledgeable and experienced in using. We'll have to “break” one out here just so we can practice for another year.

We, of course, ran out of time to do everything I had planned to do and see everyone I had planned to see. I thought three weeks would guarantee freedom from time-constraints, but I was wrong (yes, that's the only time you'll hear that, so take note). We never made it any further north than the airport (dropping off and picking up Jared) nor any further south than, well, Nephi (Flying J to be more specific). Like Mom always tells me, "always leave a place wishing you'd done one more thing, then you'll always go back." -- not that the family isn't a big enough draw for the "always go back" part--but that's how I feel about this trip and my trip to Mel's; there's much more I still want to do.

The girls had a lot of fun just being girls in a small town: playing out back in the yard, eating green apples that had fallen from Grandma's tree by the swing set (I think most of them were worm-free), getting wet, riding bikes/running in the street, walking to church (remember those days, Melanie and Todd?) and playing with neighbors. Every Friday night while Mom and Dad Trauntvein went to the temple, we were lucky enough to have a Waite Girls' Night Out. We sampled the best of the best in Nephi--Taco Time and Reeds (Vard's), included--always ending with time well spent at the park (which you should all know has been renamed by Whitney to "Uncle Jim's and Aunt Julie's Park"--the first time we went there this trip, we were, of course, with Uncle Jim and Aunt Julie).

Whitney learned to ride a bike without training wheels and took her first bike excursion to the Library and then around the south end of town--my bottom was pretty sore the next day, but she woke up ready to jump on that bike and go five more miles. It was pretty cool to watch her learn to ride with the same person (Dad) and on the same street I did 22 years ago. Pretty amazing experience for old mom (me). Emma also learned a new trick: how to turn on the water hose (thanks, again, Mom). She used that knowledge today to soak down one of our little neighbor boys who came to play with her; she thought it was great fun, he did not.

I loved the time I got to spend with my siblings and nieces and nephews. Your kids are all wonderful and growing into such incredible youth. It's amazing to see the changes every time we come visit. We love you all. The only sour note of the whole trip was the terrible loss of the Cougars to the BC Eagles which we were blessed to watch in person. It has added fuel to the fire of our neighbors in The Springs (all Air Force and/or CSU fans, of course). But we still wear our BYU shirts with pride; we just keep an eye out for rotten produce being hurled our way.

The Whitney "line of the day" came when we picked Jared up from the airport, "Daddy, I forgot what your face “looked like." That lets you know how relative time is to children, I guess. It's good to be back, though. A little bittersweet for all of us (Jared hated the silence of an empty house while we were gone, now I'm sure he misses the freedom of coming, going, doing whatsoever he wills and we are happy to see our home, daddy and friends again.

Whitney is back into full swing at preschool and is already loving it. She loves her teacher, Miss Deb, and I am reminded of Michael when he went to kindergarten (teachers always know better and more than do moms, right Amy?!).

Emma starts a playgroup with three other little girls (who all turn three by December) next week. I think we'll have a good and busy year.

Speaking of busy, Jared has hit "busy season" for dentists. Back to school and end of year (before insurance runs out) is always pretty crazy for the healthcare field. He's working longer hours and has few breaks (if any) during the day, but he still manages to find time for the Subway sandwich of the day (except on Tuesday: meatball, and Friday: tuna salad). That's just one more reason why he's grateful to have Fridays off: not having to order the tuna salad, number one; and number two, the good, quality time he gets to spend with his family. I link his deep and abiding love for Subway with the apparent subconscious connection associated with all those who are named Jared.

Me, I'm still unpacking a few things (the things I'm not sure why I took and what I should do with them now). I can't wait for fall to hit in Colorado. I've really missed that season for the past five years (in Texas they have a saying about the four seasons there, "End of Summer, Waiting for Summer, Almost Summer, and Summer"). I've already planned a little day trip to the mountains (the backside of Breckenridge) to revel in the beautiful colors of fall. I hear it's best the last week of September here, but we already have a tree in our back yard wearing its full red coat. I can't wait to see more! It's amazing!

We hope Todd and Amy have another great trip to Utah. We wish we could be there for Rachel's blessing and Tyler's baptism, but life and callings wait for no man or woman. I'll be spending my time this month trying to prepare nearly 30 girls for Young Women in Excellence, which all of you who've been in Young Women's know is a great treat. I hope it will all turn out great.

Here's to another trip!
Love,
The Waite Clan

No comments:

Subscribe