Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2005

Boston Baked Boltons


July was an amazing month for the Bolton family. We had some really fun times, some trying times and some aha moments. It has been very hot here, thus we have truly earned the name, Boston Baked Boltons.

Howard left on the 29th of June for a long trip around the world. He arrived home on the 15th of July. It didn't seem like he was gone so long to those of us who were here in America, because we had so much going on, but it seemed much longer to Howard as he did it in the reverse that he normally goes. Howard was in England, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia. He came home tired and glad to sleep in his own bed. He was also missing golf.

Siovhan has been diligent and determined to not let work get her down. She has worked 40-hour workweeks almost as long as she has been home. She has made a new friend in the ward, who calls her to do things, but she always seems to be doing other things and they can't quite connect. She is still following the Red Sox and thinks that Manny is a baby, and no one wants him. Good luck Manny Ramirez. Siovhan had a great time with the Waites here, but she was jealous that we got to go and do things while she was at work. She did come with us to New York, and she saw some friends from our ward while she was there. While in New York, she found out that her best friend from High School, Holly, is engaged to someone Siovhan had introduced her to. Siovhan is in fact counting down the days to when she is back in Utah (as she calls it: "Back Home"). Sixteen days as of this writing, and counting. She is going to have a dental appointment for wisdom teeth issue, but she will have to wait until Christmas for the surgery, which reminds us of Kirsten's fun surgery Christmas present. Siovhan's last day at work is August 5th.

Braden is finally home after spending 24 days of July in Utah. He loved being in Utah and doing all the family things. He fell in love with BYU and wants to be able to attend there when he graduates from High School. He gutted his first fish, ate tons of new things, made a DVD of the pictures that he took in Utah and set them to music, rode a bike around Nephi, stayed up late talking to Grandma, took naps in the afternoon, stayed at a friend's house in Sandy and just chilled. Braden has assumed his roll at home and thinks that he needs to take control of everything when Dad isn't home, because he is the second tallest in the house for now. He has adapted to the time change and seems to be up earlier than he needs to be.

Benjamin was a great help to his mother while Braden was gone. He would do things around the house without even being asked. He was always asking Kirsten if he could help push Ema in the stroller or if he could be with them. Uncle Jared had brought a DVD player to use in the car on the way around New England and New York, and I thought Ben would be the first to volunteer to go in their car, but he didn't want his Mom to be alone, so he went with her and they had a great time talking. Ben helped baby-sit some children who were in the process of moving to Texas, while their mom was packing things in boxes. Ben played with the little ones and they loved him. He also went to Scout Camp at Camp Squanto, near Plymouth, Massachusetts during the hottest week of the year. He had fun testing for his swimming test to take his canoeing class. He then worked on his environmental science merit badge, his archery badge, and his canoeing badge. He tells me to let you know that archery was his favorite. He didn't like the food at camp and existed on cottage cheese and croutons, supplemented with chocolate bars that had melted in his tent, but were still edible, and slushies. He is glad to have Braden home, but is not looking forward to having Siovhan leaving.

Mikaela has been kept busy during the summer break. She loved having Emaree and Whitney here. She thinks Auntie Kirsten is amazing and she liked hearing Uncle Jared laugh. Whitney and Mikaela love the same things and Mikaela loved to hear Auntie Kirsten read stories at night. She wished that we could have all our cousins live closer. She has taken a scrap booking class and gymnastics. Mikaela loves gymnastics and she seems to do well at it. The teachers are encouraging and helpful, which is a great thing when you aren't so sure of a new sport. Mikaela loves the uneven parallel bars and the balance beam. She wasn't so sure that the balance beam was going to be one of her favorites, but she now has the "flamingo" down and can dismount without landing on her bottom. She has had many play dates and has actually played with Benjamin on a few days. She missed Braden and Howard and was constantly asking to call them on the phone. She seems to be more of a socialite than even Siovhan was at that age.

The family went to Mystic Seaport in Connecticut for a Saturday excursion. We go several times a year. This year we learned some fun things about the whaling industry and we even took a steamboat ride down the river to the bridge. It is a beautiful port. We had a great time. We met another LDS family while we were there, we could tell, because the Grandparents had missionary nametags on. It was fun to talk with them and their grandchildren.

I, Melanie, have been very busy getting things done for the children. I have been reading while running, but I don't seem to have any other time for it. I still manage a book every two weeks. I love reading! I finished the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince book last week, just in time, as Siovhan was just finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I am still trying to find someone to help me out with my children while I go to Girl's Camp in August. My counselor was going to help me, but she has decided to take a last minute drive across America, with her husband and six children, to California. I also had the great pleasure of having a newborn in my house for almost a week. It was fun to hold the not so little eleven pounder, then hand her over for the feeding and the night times. I held her during the days while her mom slept (her Dad was in New York). 

We are grateful to all those who help our children out. We are grateful for the sacrifices that others made in Braden's behalf. Thank you for your time, your patience, your money and your love.

Ben found some Dumb Blonde Jokes this month that were very amazing. His favorite ones are:
Q: What do you call a Dumb Blonde in an Institute of Higher Learning?
A: A Visitor.
Q: What do you call a Dumb Blonde who dyes her hair brunette?
A: Artificial Intelligence.

(Melanie didn’t expect to see this in the newsletter. It is a thank you from her to Grumpy Gramps LHT and Grumpier Grammy MRT. However, two paragraphs of the six were just too good to keep to ourselves.)

When I was younger, I had the wonderful opportunity to spend time alone with my Grandparents in Kenilworth. I know that it was a good thing for me. I remember specifically the time that I got homesick. I cried because I just wanted to see you (Dad) and Mom. Grandma was a little upset with me for being so sad. Grandpa took me in his arms, comforted me, then told me the best thing to do was to write a letter. He took me over to the forbidden desk, got out some paper, a pencil and some crayons and showed me how to write a letter. He then showed me how to put it in an envelope and address it. He gave me a stamp from the stamp container on the desk and walked with me the whole distance to the post office (I know he could have watched me from the front yard, but he walked with me). We then went in and mailed the letter. After that, it was sweets from Jewkes’ and a swing on the front porch. He was so kind to me. That is the kind of thing that turns the hearts of the children to the fathers.

I wish I had been older before Great Grandma Smith died, as I have very few memories of her, but all my memories are the ones that I remember that she was holding me on her lap, and I felt good when I was with her. Of course, we all remember Grandma and Grandpa Pitts and their stories and the fun times. They were very
young grandparents.

No comments:

Subscribe