Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

I really think I can do this.


You only see a dietician twice in a two-month period at the clinic my doctor sent me to. Last night the class was taught by two pharmacists who seemed intent on convincing me that I should be and needed to be on a medication. It made Dad so upset that he left. He said they were treating me like I was brain-dead.

My blood pressure is 118/70 and everything else about me, but my sugar level, is good. I think I want to do as the doctor suggested and try to beat this with diet and exercise. Dad and I walk for 30 minutes everyday. That takes up up to Turkey Hill and then back down. We had to add two more blocks to that today because we went too fast to just come back to the house.

I have lost 10 pounds! (Cheering!) That is just because for the first 10 days (up tomorrow) I do not eat any sugar, sugar substitute or sweetner of any type. I just get to add fruits to my diet tomorrow. I don't miss sugar and I never will. I do like to have my oatmeal with a tablespoon of nuts cooked in and I can have cinnamon which is actually supposed to help.

Eating out yesterday with Aunties and Dad was an adventure because the cafe was one that served only corn for a veggie, iceberg lettuce (not good for my tummy) or potato soup for a side. So I had a roasted turkey steak with a couple of leaves of Romaine and I small scoop of no-fat cottage cheese. (Auntie Helen said that was not good for me because it was pasteurized and I should only eat organic. I don't know where to get that.) Dad ate my rolls as well as his. He had peach pie for dessert and I enjoyed lemon water and the conversation.

I am going to be OK! I really, really think I can do this. I had my remaining five free (on the carb exchange list) veggies when I got home and a boiled egg. Now I just need to find a different class. This one costs $35 a time and was $70 for my first time. If I am going to pay for it, I would rather go somewhere else. The guys said that my medicare should pay about half the cost.

No comments:

Subscribe