Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Stroke


Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a  bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S  *Ask the individual to SMILE.
T  *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE  (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today.)
R  *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE:  Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

Melanie wrote: Yes, but as in my case and several others, none of these were a problem, but the loss of sight was/is also a sign. Also, if you ask the person to stick out their tongue, it will go to oneside or other, or they won't be able to stick it out at all. 

Sorry...it says that in the message...I guess I didn't read it thoroughly enough.

Melanie

Charlotte Smith Freeman: Several years back I was leaving a restaurant with 3 girlfriends.  As we crossed the parking lot my right arm started to tingle and it was like someone put a buzzing tuning fork on the top of my head.  I made it to our car and dropped my to-go box.  I thought, "Darn, I hope I didn't spill my sauce".  As I bent over to pick it up I tried to hold on to the underside of the carfender next to me.  I couldn't seem to grasp it or stand up.  My cousin, the driver, saw three people croxxing the parking lot and called to them.  One just happened to be a nurse.  She askedme to smile and then my name and I told her, but I could tell it sounded like Kirk Douglas after his stroke.  She asked me to stick out my tongue and I guess it went out somewhere..."Get her to the ER immediately;  she's having a stroke."  In ten minutes I was on a guerney and given a CAT scan and administered that shot to reverse the stroke and symptoms.   To this day I am grateful to those who helped me.  My speech, now, is beginning to show the signs and my eyesight as well.  Other than that, I pray I never have another one.   So...enough of that!  How are you and Tim and your families?  Charlotte


Myrna wrote: Oddly enough, I sent this out and then got word that my youngest sister's husband, 56, just had a major stroke. He was not as fortunate as you. He was at work and was working on a diesel when it happened so he laid there for approximately one hour before he was discovered. I just hope he makes it. He was airlifted from Price, his home, to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. We went up to see him this a.m. He lost his speech.

No comments:

Subscribe