Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2008

Melanie Works With Dementia Patients


 I have been working with Alzheimer's and dementia patients for a little while now. It has been a rewarding and yet, sad experience. It is hard for me to see these strong willed people dwindle. I have had some amazing spiritual moments with them. They are all mothers, sisters, daughters, fathers, brothers, husbands. They have all been loved. Some more than others. When I read to them and look into their eyes, my spirit can feel their gratitude, even if they can't find the words to tell me. Their spirits are strong and beautiful. They hold my hand. They cry. They are afraid. Some of them have warm days, where the sun shines and all seems well. We love those days, even when our minds are healthy.  I have had testified to me that the atonement will work for them. Their spirits know who they are, even if their bodies don't. It has been a very rewarding experience for me.
There is so much new information about dementia and Alzheimer's. There are so many wonderful programs to help individuals and families. No longer do we put the older people behind closed doors. We encourage the young to visit. We encourage the patients to try to remember the things from their past that hold warm memories. We all have good memories. We read to them stories that they would have heard when they were younger. They might not remember the stories right away, but they will remember the feelings. We play games with them. Some things you never forget: how to catch a ball, how to kick a ball. (Your motor skills work in your behalf: when something is coming toward you, you push it away.) We do wheel chair aerobics. We play bowling, sing songs (sometimes as with a two year old, the same song over and over), and we even make crafts.
I never want to lose control over my faculties, but I know that Heavenly Father loves me and that Christ's atonement will protect me, even if I can't recall how to make my bed or tie my shoes.
When we sang the true carols of Christmas, all those who could speak, testified of their love of God and the belief of the ministering of angels, with tears in their eyes. None of them are LDS, just good God loving people.

No comments:

Subscribe