Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Old Folks At Home

It has been another busy month for us. We have rushed about from here to there. No, we have not finished the sprinkling system yet. Who knows, it may be the job that never ends. (She sings: “This is the job that never ends, it just goes on and on, my friend. Some people started doing it not knowing what it was and they’ll continue doing it forever, just because . . .”

We traveled to Kirsten and Jared’s home for Ryan’s blessing. It was great to be there for that special occasion in their lives. Jared’s sister and family, his parents and one young (the baby of the family) brother, and his brother (who lives nearby) and his family were all there. Todd and family were also present. It was a great day filled with good food and visits with family.

We had a long trip home. One of the tunnels was closed and we had to go up the side of the mountain at the Continental Divide. That would have been fine but we followed a row of semitractor trailer units up the mountain (one hauling a manufactured home) at approximately 5 mph. That trip was 22 miles. We finally arrived at Cove Fort where we picked up Erin and Donovin for a rushed visit. When we took them back to Cove Fort to meet David and Barbara, Bree’s co-workers called to tell David that Bree had just been rushed to the hospital. I know what she felt like, somewhat, not entirely. I had a tubular pregnancy between Todd and Eric but was lucky that my tube didn’t split. (Thanks to Dr. Francis.)

Kirsten, Jared and family spent Saturday night and Sunday morning with us last week. They went with Kimberly and kids to Lagoon on Wednesday. Kirsten visited with AnnMarie and family on Thursday and Friday while Jared was in his dental conference. He said he learned a lot and was glad he and family had come. They got caught in that crunch of the new rules on what can be taken on board the airliner. They also got caught in the road repair nightmare between Nephi and the Point of the Mountain.

On Wednesday, Aug. 16, we celebrated Rachel’s one-year birthday with cake, ice cream and fun. We had enough kids, with the E. Trauntveins, Howards and Joneses to have quite a party. She enjoyed her cake, white with chocolate frosting, but her siblings only liked the frosting. Oh, well. She was the birthday girl!

We finished up the summer tending the family of AnnMarie and the family of Eric. Now everyone has started back to school and are in the swing of things again. 

I went to Provo to baby-sit Rachel, Matthew and A.J. AnnMarie won her jury trial although she will tell you she wasn’t at her best. She must have done something right, however, because the jury found the woman guilty.

I did get to watch Matthew play soccer. He was a defender and blocked the ball from going into the net so his team could take it back down the field for a goal. I was also scared out of my wits when A.J. came up missing from inside the house. He had decided to walk down to Seven Peaks on his own. It ended happily for me because we found him and unhappily for him because I swatted him on his bottom. (I have not learned better in all these years. I still swat when I get scared. I don’t believe in it, but I do it.)

Jim’s summer help has gone back to school and Dad has started pitching in again. Jim is working to make his warehouse ready so that he can extract honey there this next month. His uncle wants Jim to have his own place. A water well has been dug and electricity has been run to the wearhouse. Jim is going to haul his recreation trailer over and make it permanent. The state says that you must have electricity, power and toilets and a place to wash up before you can extract honey. The trailer will fill the requirement for toilet, shower and washbasin.

Shawn and Kimberly are still looking for a van to replace the one they had. It threw a rod as they were starting on their family trip to the scout family camp. More fun! They still went to the camp but have not decided whether to replace the van with a different one or to fix up the one they have by putting in a new motor.

Eric is working hard to get the truck and camper his father-in-law gave them fixed up for our Labor Day family outing.

As you can see, I have contributions this month from only Melanie, David and Todd’s families. The rest of you, I guess, decided that the end of summer was too hectic to take time to write. I hope we have better luck next month.

We are looking forward to our campout. It will be nice to have a few days together. I hope that all of you who are coming and the cousins will all enjoy the fun. (I also hope I will keep my foot out of my mouth for the entire occasion. I open my mouth and disengage my brain. I hope, one day before I die, that I will learn to say what I mean and not what I say that is not what I mean but sounds like it may be. Confused? Me too. Maybe I should just apologize in advance.)

No comments:

Subscribe