Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

Melanie's Favorite Pancakes


One of my favorite cookbooks is, "The Mormon Diet,' Ethel C. Updike, Dorothy E. Smith, and Earl F. Updike, 1992, distributed by CFI (Cedar Fort, Incorporated), 925 North Main Street, Springville, UT, 801-489-4084. I bought it about fifteen years ago, while I lived in Missouri. I use it frequently. It is a Word of Wisdom cookbook, with limited meat, white anything and no sugar. My favorite parts are the soups and salads, but also, they have fabulous breads and breakfast foods.

My all time favorite recipe from this book is the oatmeal pancakes.

1 c. flour, half whole wheat, half white (I use 3/4 c. whole wheat and 1/4 c. white, just to bind the batter together better)
1/2 c. uncooked oats, quick or old fashioned (I use the old fashioned)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. almond milk
2 egg whites, beaten
2 Tbs. applesauce

In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a pyrex cup, mix the beaten egg whites and the applesauce together. Add to the dry ingredients, and mix until just moistened. You need to let the batter sit for about five to ten minutes, to let the oatmeal soften a bit. Cook as you would normal pancakes, watch carefully, they tend to brown more quickly.

I eat them with peaches, apples slices, berries, whatever. They really are the best pancakes for me. Howard and Mikaela aren't fans...probably too healthy for them.

Mel

No comments:

Subscribe