Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Walnuts Are Good Medicine

One-quarter cup of walnuts contains 95 percent of the Daily Value for omega-3 fatty acids, which explains why, out of all their beneficial effects on the body, these nuts are best known for their contributions to heart health. Most likely thanks to the alpha-linolenic acid (ALA is the form of omega-3s found in walnuts and other plant foods) they contain, walnuts have been found to maintain the flexibility of arteries after a high-fat meal better than even olive oil. Along with other markers, artery flexibility is an important aspect of vascular reactivity, or the ability of our blood vessels to respond to stimuli in a favorable way. 


Thanks , I'm glad to ehar that about walnuts. I have been gathering my walnuts. I have a big tree in my back yard and my son-in-law cut off some of the branches Sat. and knocked so many down. There still a lot of them in the tree but I'm hoping I can get them before the squirrels do. EllaDean Hunter

Myrna wrote: Are the walnuts in the tree OK after the frost? You have squirrels? We have gophers. My daughter, Melanie, had nothing but trouble with squirrels when she lived in Omaha and, again, in Boston. They look so cute but they eat everything! I have a daughter who lives in Provo and the squirrels eat the apples on her apple tree.

No comments:

Subscribe