Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Kyle's ordination


AnnMarie wrote: We are planning on Kyle being ordained on Sunday, May 1 after church -- we start at 11:00, so I assume it will be at 2:00ish.  Things aren't really clear since his interview with our bishop didn't occur when it was supposed to.  We would love to have any or all of you.  But we also know how hard it is to get away from your own church callings, particularly on a fast Sunday if you have young men who need to do fast offerings, etc.  Sorry about the late notice.  We will be having a lunch at our house afterward.  I have saved a big turkey for the occasion (not quite the same as a fatted pig, but it will do).
 
Thanks,
AnnMarie

Myrna wrote: Rats, I thought we were having a fatted lamb. Isn't that the tradition. Oh, wait, that was for Jewish boys. We will be there with bells on (quiet ones so as to not disturb the setting.)

AnnMarie wrote: I just can't do a fatted lamb.  Maybe it comes from singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" growing up.  I prefer fatted pigs.  Perhaps because there aren't any clever songs about them that make kids want to have one and take it to school.  The closest is "To market, to market to buy a fat pig."  But it is very clear that the pig is going to be eaten, as in "the pig was eat, and Tom was beat, and Tom went crying down the street."  Not very many happy thoughts with pigs.

I left the rest of you off of the original email invitation knowing that you would not be in the position to come this Sunday to Kyle's ordination.  But if you happen to blow this way, there is enough turkey for all.
 
AnnMarie

Melanie wrote: As you might remember, I don't like the taste of mutton...weird flavor...so I would prefer the fatted pig. A little roasting never hurts a pig, but brings out it's best: refiners fire and all that. 

Mel

Myrna wrote: I think that I haven't liked lamb since I helped take care of a bummer lamb. That is a lamb whose mother either dies or abandons it. My Grandpa Pitts let me help take care of a bummer lamb by feeding it bottles of milk. Poor little thing grew up to be hearty and was fixed for dinner. Grandpa said, "This delicious lamb was the lamb Myrna took care of." Nobody could understand what was the matter with me because I wouldn't and couldn't eat it. They always called me a "city" girl. I don't think it was meant kindly.

Todd wrote: The turkey is a noble bird. Remember, it ranks right there behind Eagle, Mr. Franklin even said so. Eating one of those birds brings fortune and blessings, unless it is undercooked, then the eater is misfortunate and begging for a blessing. 

Wish we could be there. 

Myrna wrote: I don't like fatted lamb and, living between two Greek families, I have had my fill of Easter lamb roasted on a spit in their backyards. Grandma Smith, however, annually thought she had received the gift of gifts. I do like turkey. I am neither Greek nor Jewish.




No comments:

Subscribe