Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Do you remember when Dad had a heart attack?‏

What do you remember about the time that Dad had the heart attack? Do you remember what you were doing? 

Dad had been at Scout Camp by Mona Reservoir with David and the troop. He had run up a hill, there was also something about rolling a log up the hill, as I recall. He could not get his breath afterward. David told him that he thought Dad was having a heart attack. They loaded up and drove home. 

I remember being home, in the kitchen, when David came running in the house to tell me about it. Dad had driven to the hospital and David had driven home. I am not certain who had dropped off the other scouts, Dad or David. Shawn and Dad remember that Shawn drove to the hospital and gave Dad a blessing. Shawn said he had come to Nephi to study. (I think he had a paper due.) I went right to our hospital, which was located at the old site at the time, and stayed with Dad while he was treated in the emergency room. I think, but am not certain, that Shawn may have driven me there. I then rode with Dad to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in the ambulance. The ambulance crew were very kind to me, I will always remember that. I think I was in shock and needed kindness.

The doctor there said that Dr. Bessingdorfer had done all the best things for Dad and had kept him from having long-term disability. It was not the same day that they decided to do a die test, was it? I remember that David and I were waiting together in the waiting room when they came to get me to tell me that Dad had died and they had shocked his heart back into action. I had to sign a paper, they did not trust Dad's ability at that point, giving the doctor permission to place a stent. They asked Dad if he wanted to go back to his room and wait and he said he preferred to wait where he was. He had to be scheduled in. However, the doctor pulled some strings at the facility and Dad underwent the stent placement that day. I asked what would happen if the stent was not placed and the doctor told me that Dad would surely have another heart attack and, perhaps, a second one would kill him. I asked what would happen if they did do the surgery. He told me that, most likely, Dad's heart would quit again but that they would just start it up once again. I signed the paper.

I do not know how anyone else got to the hospital in Provo. Did Julie, Kirsten and David come up with Shawn? Did Shawn drive his own car and one of the others of you drive our car? It is a muddle for me. 

I remember staying with Dad in recovery that night. He did not like having his leg weighed down and did not understand why the nurses wanted to put burn salve on his chest. He did not know that the shocking paddles had burned his skin. I also remember being very tired and very scared. I also remember, that somehow, you all got to the hospital and you all were loving and caring. You fed me and made sure I had clean clothes. I just don't know how it all happened. 

Hopefully, you will all remember and can fill in the missing blanks for me.

Love, M

No comments:

Subscribe