Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

DPI


In rereading this I did have those original pictures. Now I can only find the negatives. I have a scanner that does negatives but have no idea what the dpi is. I just can't seem to be able to find the pictures. I have gone through all my boxes of pictures.

Maybe I'll have to have the pictures printed up and then -
Donnette


Myrna wrote: DPI (or lowercase "dpi") is an abbreviation of dots per inch, which indicates the resolution of images. The more dots per inch, the higher the resolution. A common resolution for laser printers is 600 dots per inch. This means 600 dots across and 600 dots down, so there are 360,000 dots per square inch.

However, the most common resolution of images is 300 dpi. Most computer photo scanning systems have a setting called scan resolution. That allows the scanner to be set at the desired resolution, usually somewhere between 100 and 1200 dpi. Many people scan at the lower resoultion, say 100, 200 or 300, because the lower the resolution, the smaller the file.

You should be able to scan the negative at the higher resolution. They want it at 1200 if there needs to be cropping done or at 500 if no cropping is needed.

Love, Myrna

PS: I am sorry. Of course you know what DPI is. You just don't know what your scanner is copying at.


No comments:

Subscribe