Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2006

OK, I need help.


Myrna wrote: I downloaded some .jpg files sent by the county, and also three .jpg photos sent by Kimberly (for the newsletter), to my desktop. Now I cannot get them 
off and I can't open them, either. For some strange reason, as they are downloaded they lose the period before the .jpg. Instead a %2e and no period appears before the .jpg. Then the photo file has the "e" icon used by Explorer as the file front (usually you can see the photo as an icon). The computer tells me that they are being used by another task, Explorer, and they cannot be deleted until the task is over. Of course, it will never end because they are on the desktop and not on Explorer where they came from.  The files must be locked but I have no idea how to go about unlocking them.  I have downloaded tons of photo files just like these in the past and had no 
problem. Maybe it is my email provider. The photos no longer just automatically open as they used to do before MSN decided to cut back on the service to MAC users. I have to double click on the photo icon and then drag the opened photo to the desktop. Do you have any idea what I can do to get rid of the unwanted photo icons?


Shawn wrote: I would perhaps restart the computer (since it thinks another task is using them), then I would select and change the name on each file to show as the .jpg that you are expecting. That should allow you to open it, delete it, or whatever. I am not sure how the "%2e" would have gotten in there. Let me know if you are still having trouble.

-Shawn


Myrna wrote: I tried that and it still thinks another program is using it. I also changed the names on the files. I even went into the program so the spot where it, usually, lets you change ownership of a file. It won't let me do that either.

Love, M

Todd wrote: The %2e is an HTML translation of the period. Something is wrong with the
way your downloads are happening. Have you tried changing the file association from Explorer to word, or notepad? When you click on the file, is there a "properties" or something like that on the menu that opens? Sorry, my MAC knowledge of the desktop is limited. 






No comments:

Subscribe